Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we had to postpone our April 3rd, NF2 Novel Therapies consortium in Boston.
We had 45 NF2 and Gene Therapy researchers and clinicians that were planning to attend from all over USA and europe.
Here below was our agenda:
*Welcoming statement +NF2 BioSolutions updates
*Patients perspectives – living with NF2
*Guests introduction (per group)
*Merlin targeted gene-based therapy approaches to NF2:
1. Clinical advances in CNS-directed gene therapy. From target to drug.
2. Current molecular understanding of NF2-associated Merlin mutations and their impact on protein function. Panel discussion.
3. Data Present/Plans from Nationwide group – Dr Meyer
4. Data Present/Plans from Mueller group – Dr Meijboom
5. Data Present/Plans from Dr. Castellano/Dr. Blanco
6. Group Discussion: Challenges/Milestones/Timelines
*Merlin-independent cell- and immuno-based therapy approaches to NF2:
1. Clinical advances in cell-based and immuno-based therapies.
2. Data Present/Plans from Gary Brenner and Sherif Ahmed + discussions
3. Discussion: Challenges/Milestones/Timelines
*Testimony living with NF2 + Coffee Break
*Cementing the basis for research and clinical studies through collaborations: Tumor bank, Biomarkers, Animal models and Natural History
1. Human Schwann Cell Model Systems for NF2. + Group discussion
2. Tissue Bank Kick off Discussion/stakeholder/partnership commitments + Group discussion
3. NF2 Animal models landscape. + Group discussion
4. Natural history study: NIH in action+ Group discussion
5. Discussion: Challenges/Milestones/Timelines
We hope we can reschedule the meeting asap once the pandemic is over. In the meantime we will continue to interact with the researcher remotely.
April 3rd 2020: Kickoff of the first Open-Access NF2 Tissue/Cell bank to accelerate existing research and attract new labs into the race of curing NF2. Today it is very complicated for a research lab to have access to NF2 tumors (frozen/fresh), cell lines and genome sequencing data. This initiative will solve the access problem, we are going to collect tissue sample from many surgeons, performing analysis on them and share the data as well as the tissues. NF2 Cell line will be created as well and shared. For more info go here.
Gene Replacement Therapy for NF2 is starting!
August 1st 2019: NF2 BioSolutions signed a contract in July 2019 to partially fund a NF2 Gene therapy Pilot Pre-Clinical Study at the Abigail Wexner Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital by Dr. Kathrin Meyer, who is serving as the Principal Investigator.
June 26th 2019: Dr. Mueller of the University of Massachusetts Medical School attended NF2 BioSolutions’s NF2 Gene Therapy consortium in Boston on March 29th. Being moved by the impact of NF2, Dr. Mueller decided to start a gene therapy pilot study to determine if his lab’s gene therapy platform could be a good candidate for tackling the NF2 mutation. The advantage of his platform is its ability to silence the mutated gene and then add a healthy one. Dr. Mueller, assisted by Dr. Karin Meijboom, will be financing the development of the gene therapy NF2 vector for the pilot. Once manufactured, it will be tested on NF2 in order to determine efficiency. NF2 BioSolutions will facilitate the collaboration between the NF2 experts and Dr. Mueller’s lab.
This is just the beginning, there is much more to come!!! We need your continuing support as we shine the spotlight on NF2. Our goal is to collaborate with several leading gene therapy labs and share findings as we go to increase our chances of finding a long term solution for NF2.
Take a look at the impressive Mueller lab (the site is not yet updated with his new NF2 focus).
March 29th 2019: NF2 Gene Therapy Consortium
NF2 BioSolutions organized the first NF2 Gene Therapy Consortium where participated more than 40 biotech executives, researchers & clinicians from NF2 or leading Gene Therapy labs. Click here for more informations
Buy merchandise to support research
To buy merchandise, click here to see all the choices of t-shirts, cups, magnets… Fifty % of sales go to NF2 BioSolutions.
Article on WebMD about Nicole Henwood, founder of NF2 BioSolutions
Mom Blazes Path to Cure for Son’s Rare Disease
Click here to Follow us on Facebook and don’t miss our updates: